5/11/2007

Paris is Going to Jail : One More Round Before I Go Johnny


Hey out there, are you getting ready for the weekend? I wanted to sit down and blog to you all about a couple of things that I have been thinking about before I hit the TGIF button on my computer. First of all, I want to say thank you to a few of the webcure fans that have been nice enough to wrote me some great notes about my health tips on webcure. It is really helpful to get your comments, and I would like to encourage you (" where be dem commenz affa de blog boss? where be dem commentz?") to leave your thoughts on the comments section of the blog so that everyone can get a chance to enjoy them.

I wanted to say a few things about laughing. Laughing is great. I like to laugh. A lot of the people I know laugh. There is nothing more pleasant sometimes than sitting down at the TV and letting a comedy or funny comedian make you break up laughing. Laughing is good for the soul, and it turns out that it is very good for the body as well. I had the pleasure once of meeting Patch Adams, a very gifted man who believes in the power of laughing. His work as a 'humanitarian clown' for children and adults in the field of health care is revolutionary, and his understanding of the power of laughter is contagious. I had the opportunity to watch him in action with his team of clowns at a children's wing in a hospital. I was there as a video cameraman and he simply refused to let me film him, UNLESS I became one of the clowns for at least 30 minutes. He explained that his work was based on a connection that might be ruined if I was seen as an "outsider". He let me become one of the clowns, complete with a big red clown nose, and I worked at getting people to laugh at me before I started to film. I got the point. The man is very serious about his laughing.

Now let me talk about another kind of laugh. Sometimes we laugh at other people. I do it occasionally. It is no big deal unless someone feels that you are mocking them. That isn't my style, so I don't go there. It happens from time to time that we laugh at celebrities. Maybe they have said something funny, or more likely they have done something stupid, so we laugh. Celebrities can do stupid things sometimes, they get filmed doing it, we see it- and we laugh. That is natural. Once in a while, people laugh at others misfortune. "OOOOHH! Look what you stepped in!" It can be funny, and both sides laugh as one side cleans their shoe. Where am I going with this? To Paris, of course. Paris Hilton gives us all ample opportunity to laugh. She says silly things some times, and she has done a few crazy stunts-so we laugh at her. We think, maybe, that it's ok to laugh-she has money, she'll be fine. Paris pumps the situation up even more as much as the press tease her. That's Hollywood.

Now, Paris is going to jail it seems. I guess it isn't funny to me. I know, I know. First of all, I personally hate irresponsible drivers, and she is very possibly in that group. Second of all, I don't think that celebrities are above the law. Crime doesn't pay- for anyone. My problem is that it seems like the penalty that she was given, seems very strict and overdone. I don't think that anyone benefits from going to jail at that age over a crime like that. Not the system, not the citizens, and not Paris. Some of you may disagree. If one of my family members faced something similar I wouldn't be laughing. Let's seperate between things. It is ok to laugh when funny things happen. It is not ok to laugh at a person in their time of despair. Have some compassion people.

Be Healthy,

webcure

No comments: